Wednesday, June 18, 2014

triathlon training essentials


Last Saturday officially marked 3 months until the 2014 Nautica Malibu Triathlon. As you may know, earlier this year I successfully recruited a handful of family members to join me for this year's race. Throughout Ellie's birthday weekend and our time in Boston, we spent a good chunk of time discussing tips and tricks for triathlon training.

I'm certainly no pro when it comes to triathlons. I don't have all the answers. I'm definitely not trained in exercise science. But I am an athlete. And I've found a handful of tried-and-true items that help me feel my best when training.

1. Neutrogena Ultimate Sport sunscreen. A majority of my training takes place outside - open water swimming, hard sand runs, and Back Bay bike rides - and given my aging skin, it's important to make sure I'm protecting it from the Southern California sunshine. This sunscreen goes on easy and sticks with me through the sweatiest training sessions.

2. Vega Sport Pre-Workout Energizer in Acai Berry. I'm a big fan of the extra boost gels, chews, and bars give me, but I'm not a fan of the amount of sugar and calories they contain. Enter Vega Sport. As a Sweat Pink ambassador, I first learned of Vega Sport and their "Fuel Your Better" campaign through Fit Approach and was immediately interested.

A plant-based, low-calorie, pre-workout powder (to be mixed with 8 ounces of water) to help fuel me through the early days of this training season? Yes please! For the last few weeks, I shake up this about 20 minutes before I head out for a swim, bike, or run and I've absolutely felt a difference. My energy level doesn't dip during my workout and I finish just as strong as I started. Another plus, the powder mixes effortlessly with cold water and tastes great. I actually look forward to drinking it!

Best yet, Vega Sport has a whole line of pre-, during, and post-workout products to help you feel more energized and properly fueled. Want to know more? Click here!

3. Blender Bottle. My Vega Sport Pre-Workout powder and Blender Bottle are match made in heaven. Taking a page from my husband's Blender Bottle book, I snagged my own and am so glad I did. It makes mixing (or shaking) up pre-workout drinks and post-workout shakes a breeze.

4. Aqua Sphere Goggles. Last summer, I was the idiot who took pool goggles into the ocean for my first open water swim. It didn't take long to realize I needed a more focused product, and when I found these goggles, my eyeballs were much happier during my ocean outings.

5. Skins Compression Socks. I don't think twice about putting these on before I head out for a hilly Back Bay run. Compression socks help maximize the oxygen your muscles get while providing focused support for the duration of your workout. Without a doubt, I cramp less and have reduced soreness post-run when I rock these knee-highs. I might look ridiculous, but the benefits more than make up for it.

6. Asics GT 2000s. With a shot right knee and weak ankles, these cute cruisers get me through both long runs and sprints. I'm willing to bet a big reason these babies work for me is because of their color. Who can argue with power-color shoes and hot pink laces?

Other noteworthy must-haves: a slew of good podcasts to motivate me through long runs or bike rides (I love listening to sermons from the Austin Stone or Saddleback Church), my trusty 2013 Nautica Malibu Triathlon hat, and a positive attitude. Training with a killer view, while not a must-have, certainly doesn't hurt. Happy training!


No comments:

Post a Comment