Monday, July 18, 2011

You don't have to be fast - just fabulous!

A year ago next weekend, at the SF Marathon and Races, marks my return to running. After one too many knee injuries and subsequent surgeries, my doctors once told me I'd never run again. That just wasn't going to fly.


Many of you know that running and racing has moved up my priority list of life in the last year, as I've run a handful of 5 and 10k races, a 15k (on the lakefront in Chicago last November - a bit cold for my liking) and two half-marathons.


For the second year in a row, I'll be racing in San Francisco's Big Gay 10k on August 13th and this time, I have the pleasure of running with Andy's uncles Dean and Tony. The SFBG10K is put on by and benefits San Francisco AIDS Foundation, an organization that works to end the HIV epidemic in the same city where it began.  By combining innovative programs for HIV prevention and care with bold policy initiatives focused on issues ranging from harm reduction to total health and wellness, we are making sustainable progress against HIV in communities most affected by the disease.  Established in 1982, San Francisco AIDS Foundation refuses to accept that HIV transmission is inevitable.


This year's super fabulous shirt - per usual.
I've set a fundraising goal of $250 and would love for my family and friends to help me reach it. A big thanks to my generous family members who have already donated - I'm only $75 away from my goal! To donate, please visit: http://greaterthanone.org/events/biggay10k/. Click on "Sponsor a Participant", search for my name and donate, donate, donate.


Should you need a little inspiration...


Costumes encouraged - The Ambiguously Gay Duo.
Enjoying my tiara post-race last year.
on to the next one...
love,
k

No comments:

Post a Comment